If you’ve read my review on the Jamie Oliver Quick & Easy cookbook, you’ll know that I was very impressed with it. It features a good variety of recipes which all use 5 ingredients – excluding cooking oils and seasoning – and is a must-have for any foodie. It has inspired me to think of my own 5-ingredient recipes, and this is the first of them! It’s a gorgeous combination of oozing mozzarella, fragrant basil pesto and sweet sun-dried tomatoes in a kind of grilled eggy bread! If you can’t find the Crosta & Mollica bread, any rustic loaf, thickly sliced, would work.
What’s not to love?! Give it a try…
Makes 1 sandwich Prep: 5 mins cooking 8-10 mins
– 2 Crosta & Mollica Pane Pugliese bread slices
– 1 small ball of mozzarella (125g drained weight)
– Basil/green pesto
– 3-5 pieces of sun-dried tomato
– 1 egg
1. Beat the egg on a plate. Spread the pesto on one side of each slice of bread, leaving a small border around the edge of about 5mm. Place the mozzarella evenly over one slice of bread, again leaving a 5mm border around the edge. The border should stop any hot oil splattering when frying. Scatter over the chopped sun-dried tomatoes. Place the other slice of bread on top.
2. Pour light olive oil into a large frying pan until about 2mm deep, place onto a medium-high heat. Carefully dip each side of the sandwich into the egg and carefully place it into the frying pan dropping it away from you. Fry each side for 4-5 minutes, or until golden brown. Place onto a plate lined with kitchen roll for a minute, turning once.
3. Slice, serve and enjoy! Perfect with a salad, some olives and a glass of red wine.