This has to be the most summery dessert there is! Strawberries are plentiful at at their best during the summer, and containing only 5 ingredients, there’s no excuse not to try this recipe…
Serves 2 Prep: 5-10 mins
– 200-230g fresh strawberries
– 150ml double cream
– 4 meringue nests (approx 40g in total)
– 2 tbsp caster sugar
– Strawberry ice cream sauce (like Askey’s Treat Strawberry)
1. Set aside one strawberry and slice the rest into 1cm slices, discarding the stalks. Place into a bowl with 2 tbsp caster sugar, 1 tbsp cold tap water and mix together thoroughly. Set aside. *
2. Pour the double cream into a mixing bowl and, using a balloon whisk, whisk until thickened. This should take about 3-5 minutes.
3. Using a large spoon, mix half of the prepared strawberries into the cream. Crumble 2 meringue nests into the cream and strawberry mixture.
4. Divide the mixture between two serving bowls, add the remaining sliced strawberries to each serving bowl and place one intact meringue nest on top of the mixture. Slice the reserved strawberry in half and place of top of the meringue. Then go crazy with the strawberry sauce!
5. …’et voilà, Eton Mess!
* To create a really interesting flavour profile, add a couple of grinds of black pepper to the strawberries!